[csw-maintainers] OpenCSW Prefix

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Sat Nov 1 13:39:04 CET 2008

Hi Gary,

Am 01.11.2008 um 13:17 schrieb Gary Law:
>> > * **Release Process**.
>>
>> You might want to take a look at Hudson, which is a nice
>> Continuous Integration server that I've used for automated builds
>> in the past.
>
> Like this :-)
>   http://buildfarm.opencsw.org/hudson/
>
> Oh fantastic. If you dive deep enough through the links eventually
> absolute links to:
> http://hudson:8070
> start appearing, which don't work.

Oops. Trygve, any clues how to fix this?

> Still, this is completely the right way to go IMHO. I'll try and
> get my packages in there.

This will be done automatically once we have single package
checkout in GAR. Auto-build on commit :-)

>>  (*) I've got one more, and this is probably going to be a little
>> controversial... we should move out of /opt/csw and into /opt/
>> opencsw. Blastwave Inc is still distributing into /opt/csw and the
>> scope for end user confusion and incompatible software releases is
>> huge. Although this sounds like a lot of work, if everything is in
>> GAR, and everything needs to be rebuilt for Sol 9 in the next six
>> months, it's really not a lot of extra work. I've got big
>> reservations about maintaining stuff through opencsw that installs
>> into /opt/csw.
>
> Difficult. *If* we change the prefix, then there must be a
> converter for installation to go from csw/ to opencsw/, but
> personally I would like to postpone that until we see how
> each project performs. Discussion welcome.
>

> Like changing to GAR only, it would be impossible overnight. But
> set a target date six months out, and I think it's realistic to get
> everything rebuilt, out of version controlled repo, off the new
> minimum standard (Solaris 9). We might loose a few packages or
> maintainers along the way, but end up in a much better place for
> running and maintaining the project long term.

That would imply to also change the package prefix CSW to something
else.
I completely agree that it is a Bad Thing(TM) to have two projects work
on the same prefix. However, the "inheritor" of CSW (Phil, after Alan
DuBoff) is at OpenCSW and most of the maintainers too. I don't know how
they feel about changing the prefix. Personally, I think OpenCSW has the
moral right to stick to /opt/csw, but that is just my opinion and I
would
accept a majority decision on this of course.

Fellow maintainers, what do you think?

> Also, what's the alternative? Having two projects targeting the
> same install path? That is not sustainable going forward and the
> project's credibility will suffer.

The question is: will the maintainers here will accept leaving the
prefix to Blastwave and start with a new one.

Apart from that it would be cool to allow customized package trees
with different suffixes (e. g. like optimized trees for T1/T2).
However, that would impose quite an extra amount for package
maintainers (not for all, but there are nasty ones).