[csw-maintainers] Contents of devel@ list

Trygve Laugstøl trygvel at opencsw.org
Mon Nov 10 16:59:46 CET 2008

Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 09.11.2008 um 11:32 schrieb Trygve Laugstøl:
>> Philip Brown wrote:
>>> Oh.... you are trying to keep an eye on the part between
>>>
>>> "i copy it into the batching area"
>>> vs
>>> "it goes public".
>>>
>>> because in the past, I have sometimes taken a while between the two.
>>> As a side note, I anticipate that gap to be much much shorter these
>>> days,
>>> since the processes runs smoother for me now.
>>>
>>> Additionally, our front webpage, and the "newpkgs" mailing list, both
>>> actually get their information from the internal batching area :-}
>>> So we already have an "updated daily" reference of what is in that
>>> area.
>>>
>>> As mentioned previously, I could make the front web page updated
>>> hourly, if
>>> you like.
>>> Unless people really want an actual individual EMAIL to go out
>>> somewhere,
>>> every time a package hits that area.
>>>
>>> Do people want to see that? or is the insert on www.opencsw.org
>>> enough?
>>> (either once a day, or once an hour?)
>> I wouldn't mind an email when a packages moves from one state to
>> another.
>
> Yes, to devel@ please. I guess we should keep maintainers@
> free from automated posts.
>
>> I would also like an Atom feed with new and updated packages so
>> that people can follow the changes.
>
> Do you mind doing that yourself? Ihsan can set up a file on
> www.opencsw.org:/var/www/www.opencsw.org/htdocs/ where you
> can deliver the xml.

I can create the Atom XML, but I don't know how to get the data. If the
data is in a SQL database I can make a php page that generate the file.

>> In the future I wouldn't mind including the change log of what's
>> changed.
>
> Where should that information come from?

 From the change log file that the maintainer deliver when the .pkg is
uploaded :). I know it doesn't exist, but I (as a user) would like to
know what has changed when new packages are installed. This is very
useful information to browse when looking at the front page and
wondering why there is a new package available. In particular for bug fixes.

--
Trygve