[csw-maintainers] Contents of devel@ list

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Nov 10 17:47:05 CET 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 04:59:46PM +0100, Trygve Laugstøl wrote:
> >> In the future I wouldn't mind including the change log of what's
> >> changed.
> >
> > Where should that information come from?
>
>  From the change log file that the maintainer deliver when the .pkg is
> uploaded :). I know it doesn't exist, but I (as a user) would like to
> know what has changed when new packages are installed. This is very
> useful information to browse when looking at the front page and
> wondering why there is a new package available. In particular for bug fixes.

We had this discussion a year or three ago on the maintainers list.
Some of the issues were: for one thing, we couldnt agree on whether the
"upstream" changes should be in this file or not.

I personally would say "not".
and as a side comment, the vast majority of "new packages" are simply due
to "new version upstream". and the vast majority of csw-side changes, are
"oops, I made a mistake". Most of which are not really anything the user
would care about, beyond "ok i'm glad you fixed that dumb thing".