[csw-maintainers] migrating inetd.conf entries to SMF for sol10

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Apr 6 22:07:59 CEST 2009

On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 03:59:00PM -0400, Darin Perusich wrote:
> > Or... you could be "noble", and make a new classutils class action script
> > for it :)
>
> This is what I was looking for, where are the docs/examples explaining
> how this classutils works?

its a solaris standard mechanism.
so, docs.sun.com would be one place to start.

or... you could just look at the existing class action scripts in our
cswclassutils package, and modify one to suit your needs.

the concept is that you write a matching pair of
install/remove scripts which go in /usr/sadm/[whateveritis]

Then at pkgadd/pkgrm time, the script gets called, with a list of files
that are in "class YOURCLASS"

The script can then do basically anything it wants.
It's very similar to a postinstall script, but with a few more "input" and
"output" expectations. nothing too strenous though. again, see our existing
ones.

> > so on sol8/9 it would auto insert/update/.... inetd.conf, and
> >   in sol10 it would auto SMF it.
> >
> > you could allow for a file like for the cswusergroup class....
> >
> > /opt/csw/etc/pkg/[pkgname]/cswinetdconf
> >
> > with one or more lines in inetdconf style, that would be the trigger
> > for the class action script.
> > Although you would also potentially require some entries for any
> > "new" /etc/services entries, if they were required.
>
> The existing postinstall already adds to services so that's taken care of.

However, if you converted it to a class action script, it would be
Very Nice for other programs that may like to use inetd.

Plus, eliminating postinstall scripts is nice for not prompting sysadmins,
"do you realy want to run this script?"