[csw-maintainers] CSW/GAR maintainer world map via Ohloh

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Mon Aug 31 13:46:20 CEST 2009

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Peter FELECAN<pfelecan at opencsw.org> wrote:
> "Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski" <maciej at opencsw.org> writes:

>>> Nope. gar is only one of the mechanisms used to build packages. not all
>>> builds use gar. all this is an instance of the hammer syndrome.
>>
>> Are you seriously saying that the builds, the code that is used to
>> describe how to build OpenCSW packages, are not part of the OpenCSW
>> project? If not that, then what code is?
>
> You misread my message:

Are you sure it isn't you who misread a message? Try re-reading the
above quotations. I said "GAR might be considered a separate software
project, but the builds themselves are code using GAR, they aren't GAR
itself. Don't the builds seem belong to the OpenCSW project rather
than GAR?". Take a minute and re-read it, please.

> what I'm saying is that gar is not opencsw,

Yes, I wrote essentially the same statement at Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at
5:05 PM ("GAR might be considered a separate software project"). Why
do you need to say it now? :-)

> although some packages are built with gar. Saying that gar is opencsw is
> like saying that the autotools, make and other utilities used to build
> packages are opencsw.

Agreed, no idea who might be saying that.

> I'm speaking not only to warm up the discussion
> but also to avoid unnecessary reductionism.

Fair enough. Look at a file that I wrote[1], and which uses GAR to
build CUPS for Solaris. Why deny that this file belongs to OpenCSW?
(You said that GAR builds don't belong to OpenCSW at Fri, Aug 28, 2009
at 5:05 PM)

Maciej

[1] https://gar.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gar/csw/mgar/pkg/cups/branches/cups-with-classutils/Makefile