[csw-maintainers] SOS12 on build9s

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sun Dec 6 14:46:10 CET 2009

Excerpts from Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski's message of Sun Dec 06 05:07:47 -0500 2009:

> Now that we've got pinentry, I'll try go get it released soon and
> build gnupg 2.0 with pinentry support.  We run into the alternatives
> problem again: I need gnupg 2.0 to be accessible as /opt/csw/bin/gpg.

GPG seems to be one place where neither Debian nor RHEL use their
alternatives functionality.  I _believe_ that this is due to the fact
that gpg2 is not a pure superset of gpg's functionality.

I ran into some issues when using gpg2 as my default gpg.  I could
sign and verify mail I sent, but others using gpg1 couldn't verify
signatures I generated.  As with much of the rest of the gpg
documentation, tracking down info on this problem wasn't easy.  In the
end, I reverted to using gpg, as using gpg2 had been an experiment for
other reasons only.

If you need an app to use 2 by default, my recommendation would be
twiddle a config knob if provided or build it with the /path/to/gpg2
built in instead.

HTH.[1]
-Ben

[1] If you have info that makes gpg2 sign things in a way that older
    gpg can work with, I'd be interested to see it.

GPG Key Id: 8E89F6D2; Key Server: pgp.mit.edu
Contact me to arrange for a CAcert assurance meeting.