[csw-maintainers] Thematics month proposal

William Bonnet william at wbonnet.net
Fri Jan 16 22:13:13 CET 2009

Hi Phil
> one of the biggest "challenges" about a volunteer
> organisation, is that you cant just write up a project agenda, and then
> assign people to do it. You need... volunteers!

That's right ! I fully agree
.
In order to recruit volunteers we first have to set up the project. As
you wrote below it comes through writing wiki page, and documentation
and many thing else. Gathering volunteers also requires to be
attractive. Being attractive often means to start the work on the
project and to communicate about this until you reach a kind of
"critical mass". It's not gonna be a easy thing, but i believe it is
worth to try :)

It will help to create the buzz around, it will help focusing some
effort on mutual goal, and ... many things :)

It is important to me that this project or themes or whatever you call
it, must *not be* a mandatory thing or an exclusive thing. It has to be
a kind of roadmap to highlight important task, to try to improve the
quality of the packages and service we deliver. It should not prevent
people to work on other things.
> So, I would suggest that you first start with a wiki page on
>  "here are themes I propose",
> then see if there are any extra ones proposed,
> and then see who signs up to handle/drive each of them.
> Finally, based on who is doing each bit, work out schedules for each.

For sure. It's a good advice. First of all i sent this email to see how
people are feeling about this idea. I already had a few positive
feedback, i will start to work on the wiki page in the next days. I can
setup a couple things, but i'll need help :) and i'll ask for...

Don't hesitate to comment more or give your opinion about this. And
don't hesitate to submit your ideas for the agenda and discuss about
subjects. Sometimes it is easier to discuss about this by email rather
by editing wiki pages.

cheers
W.

--