[csw-maintainers] package hooks (update)

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Thu Jul 2 20:59:28 CEST 2009

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Thu Jul 02 13:51:32 -0400 2009:
> > http://wiki.opencsw.org/package-hooks

> I dont see where it explicitly calls how how a package tool can
> differentiate between "batch" and "per-package" hooks.

Well, if you read the description of the two groups of hooks, you
should see that it notes:

<snip>
Batch Hooks:

These hooks are run before or after a batch package operation. In this
sense, batch is taken to mean all package actions, regardless of the
number of packages affected.
</snip>

<snip>
Per-package Hooks:

These hooks are run before and after individual calls to pkgadd or
pkgrm.
</snip>

I've added some examples of the call sequences at the bottom of the
document in a 'Hook Invocation' section to solidify these
descriptions.

> also, the communication between package tools and hooks, seems to be rather
> vague.
> An rfc normally deals with fairly concrete directives. and even when it is
> vague, it is explicitly vague. that is to say, "must" vs "may" :-)

For better or worse.

> What I mean is, I think it would be beneficial to have the "communication"
> section rewritten along the lines of,
> [in situation X, the package tool should pass in argument Y]

Done.  See changes.

> Right now, it seems like package tools "may" pass in arguments to hooks,
> basically on a whim. there is no rhyme or reason to it that i can see.

Well, I thought it was clear, but I wrote it, so I knew what I meant!
:)

GPG Key Id: 8E89F6D2; Key Server: pgp.mit.edu
Contact me to arrange for a CAcert assurance meeting.