[csw-maintainers] package hooks (update)

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Thu Jul 2 21:27:15 CEST 2009

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Thu Jul 02 15:05:30 -0400 2009:
> Yes, it describes what [a batch hook] should do.
> However, it does not explicitly describe how a package installation tool
> should RECOGNIZE a batch hook, AS a batch hook, that i could see.

The tool doesn't need to _recognize_ anything.  The hook names are
defined.  Running a hook consists of testing for existence of a
specific directory (based on the name of the hook) and executing in
lexical order any files in that directory.  If the directory isn't
there, the tool continues.  So, since hooks have names, they're
'addressed' by name.  No need to recognize them.

GPG Key Id: 8E89F6D2; Key Server: pgp.mit.edu
Contact me to arrange for a CAcert assurance meeting.