[csw-maintainers] package hooks

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Thu Jun 25 19:54:07 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 12:54:46PM -0400, Ben Walton wrote:
> Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Thu Jun 25 10:17:11 -0400 2009:
> > So.. how about writing up some docs for the API now? :-)
>
> Done: http://wiki.opencsw.org/package-hooks

it's a good start.

I think it would benefit, first and foremost, by an explaination of why
this exists.
ie: what is it trying to achieve, that cannot be done via the existing
mechanisms of preinstall/postinstall scripts.

Additionally, an explicit handling of how they are delivered, and more
explicit naming, would probably be a good idea.

for example, you dont explicitly say that these "hooks" are always
delivered as part of a CSW package. (are they?)

Also, while you specify a directory of /var/opt/csw/libexec/pkg-hooks,
you dont specify or propose any naming standard for the actual files that
live in there.  (ie: possible a PKG based prefix or postfix to the name?)

Additionally.. i actually do NOT think that /var/opt is appropriate.

/var/opt is for data that will be changed
/etc/opt is for scripts and configs

these are scripts, therefore, they belong under /etc/opt.
Now, the scripts themselves, might use /var/opt/XXX for scratch space
  or state info for themselves.  But it doesnt make sense to me, that the
  scripts themselves would be under /var/opt