[csw-maintainers] package hooks

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Thu Jun 25 21:25:47 CEST 2009

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Thu Jun 25 13:54:07 -0400 2009:

> I think it would benefit, first and foremost, by an explaination of why
> this exists.
> ie: what is it trying to achieve, that cannot be done via the existing
> mechanisms of preinstall/postinstall scripts.

Updated.

> Additionally, an explicit handling of how they are delivered, and more
> explicit naming, would probably be a good idea.
> for example, you dont explicitly say that these "hooks" are always
> delivered as part of a CSW package. (are they?)

Updated.

> Also, while you specify a directory of /var/opt/csw/libexec/pkg-hooks,
> you dont specify or propose any naming standard for the actual files that
> live in there.  (ie: possible a PKG based prefix or postfix to the
> name?)

Good point.  Updated.

> Additionally.. i actually do NOT think that /var/opt is appropriate.
>
> /var/opt is for data that will be changed
> /etc/opt is for scripts and configs

Ok.  I was thinking they were a 'libexec-ish' type thing, but I think
you're correct.  I've reverted to the old path.

Thanks for the feedback.  More welcome, as always.

GPG Key Id: 8E89F6D2; Key Server: pgp.mit.edu
Contact me to arrange for a CAcert assurance meeting.