[csw-maintainers] Creation of users and groups added to cswclassutils

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Sun Mar 15 20:45:33 CET 2009

* Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 11:00:59PM +0100, Peter Bonivart wrote:
> > Like the script would look for /opt/csw/etc/cswusrgrp and always
> > "source" it when called by any package using the script? I guess it
> > wouldn't hurt since it would skip already existing users and groups.
> >
> > Or how would you use it?
>
> Yes something like that.
>
> To spell out the steps explicitly, i was envisioning something like the
> following: [please read all the way through, for ZONES notes, and
>  other complications...]
>
> 1. site admins install "some program" (it might not even be a demon, but
>     something requiring a group) to nfs:/opt/csw
>
>   This installs a local account on the server, "ftpgroup".
>

> 2. site admins want to also run the software on client1.
>
>  So, they go to client1, and run
>   (NFS-mounted) /opt/csw/sbin/??cswusrgrp ftpsoftwarename
>
>  This script then looks under /opt/csw/[??] and looks up users&groups that
>    "ftpsoftwarename" needs. finds that they do not exist on client1,
>   so attempts to add it locally.

Could we settle on where this ?? should be. The wiki entry about
cswclassutils [1] suggests /opt/csw/etc/cswfoo/cswusergroup where i would
take cswfoo to be the package name.

IMHO this has two issues:

1) The already addressed visibility to a user, who is just interested in
   configuring the service. "Huh, what's that file? What do i need it for?"

2) If CSWfoo already has configuration files directly beneath etc/
   (this i the case for CSWdovecot) i as a package maintainer would feel
   inclined to consolidate these into the etc/cswfoo directory as well.
   On the other hand (and that feeling is stronger) i wouldn't want to
   change configuration file locations as not to break things on package
   updates.

So how about /op/csw/share/foo/cswusergroup or something similar
instead?

Sebastian

[1] http://wiki.opencsw.org/cswclassutils-package#toc5