[csw-maintainers] libtool

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Sun Mar 29 22:07:01 CEST 2009

Hi Roger,

Am 29.03.2009 um 20:42 schrieb Roger Håkansson:
> Philip Brown wrote:
>> The "generic, and permenant fix", is to track down the dependant
>> packages
>> that are using libtool, and hound the maintainer to remove the .la
>> files
>> :-)
>
> And in this case, the maintainer is "retired" and the "dependant
> package" is the one I'm trying to build...
>
> A recap:
>
> CSWlibgsf consists of two libraries, libgsf-1.so(.114.0.11) and
> libgsf-gnome-1.so(.114.0.11)
> Both libraries get built without any problem, and libgsf-gnome-1.so.
> 114.0.11 gets linked to libgsf-1.so.114.0.11
> But during the install (to work/pkgroot...) libgsf-gnome-1.so.
> 114.0.11 is relinked (as usual when using libtool) get linked to /
> opt/csw/lib/libgsf-1.1.9.1.
>
> My thought was that someone might have seen this problem (with
> another package) before and had a solution for it.

Indeed. I have seen this several times. On some occasions
the '-L' had to be taken out of CFLAGS (like in ncurses)

> include gar/category.mk
>
> LDFLAGS := $(filter-out -L%,$(LDFLAGS))

Some needed manual patching and now I have encountered this problem
again in an old libflac version. James suggested to use an interposing
script between CC and the real compiler which reorders -L and -I
directives so /opt/csw comes last and the stuff on workdir/ first.
I haven't implemented this, though.

I also encountered this when packaging gettext, but couldn't solve it.

BTW, are you sure this is a libtool issue?