[csw-maintainers] php5 packaging

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Tue May 5 20:52:45 CEST 2009

Excerpts from Mike Watters's message of Tue May 05 14:19:01 -0400 2009:
> I didn't think about that part of the upgrade.
> I wrote admin scripts to gracefully handle the php.ini files.
> The new packages do not overwrite the existing php.ini.
>
> There are a couple ways to handle this I think.
>
> examine the existing php.ini file for enabled extensions:
>
> 1) kick off a pkg-get -i for each extension that is enabled.

This gets troublesome in the face of locally added extensions (we use
oracle here, for example)....not impossible, but you'd maybe need to
whitelist extensions against those available from the catalog or
something.

> 2) display a note to the user to add the extra packages themselves.

What about a combination of these two?  Provide a
php5-update-extensions script or something that does 1 and note it at
package install time?  This could still get lost in a sea of output
though, so it might not be sufficient.

> This does not account for anything that was previously compiled
> statically I am not sure if there were any.

I'm not sure either.

Thanks

GPG Key Id: 8E89F6D2; Key Server: pgp.mit.edu
Contact me to arrange for a CAcert assurance meeting.