[csw-maintainers] php5 packaging

Mike Watters mwatters at opencsw.org
Tue May 5 21:13:24 CEST 2009

Ben Walton wrote:
> Excerpts from Mike Watters's message of Tue May 05 14:19:01 -0400 2009:
>> I didn't think about that part of the upgrade.
>> I wrote admin scripts to gracefully handle the php.ini files.
>> The new packages do not overwrite the existing php.ini.
>>
>> There are a couple ways to handle this I think.
>>
>> examine the existing php.ini file for enabled extensions:
>>
>> 1) kick off a pkg-get -i for each extension that is enabled.
>
> This gets troublesome in the face of locally added extensions (we use
> oracle here, for example)....not impossible, but you'd maybe need to
> whitelist extensions against those available from the catalog or
> something.
>
>> 2) display a note to the user to add the extra packages themselves.
>
> What about a combination of these two?  Provide a
> php5-update-extensions script or something that does 1 and note it at
> package install time?  This could still get lost in a sea of output
> though, so it might not be sufficient.
>
>> This does not account for anything that was previously compiled
>> statically I am not sure if there were any.
>
> I'm not sure either.
>
> Thanks
> -Ben

Here is what I have come up with thus far,
Please review and let me know what you think.
http://gar.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gar/csw/mgar/pkg/php5/trunk/files/CSWphp5.postinstall?revision=4695&view=markup

- --

Thanks,
Mike

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex,
and more violent.  It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage --
to move in the opposite direction."

* Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955
    US German-born Theoretical Physicist