[csw-maintainers] issue when trying to provide a python binding

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Fri May 8 18:36:49 CEST 2009

Mike Watters <mwatters at opencsw.org> writes:

> Hi Peter,

Thank you Mike for your explanation.

> Peter FELECAN wrote:
>
>> There are 2 issues:
>>
>> 1. I'm using gcc, so why cc is used? Because Python is generated with
>>    Sun Studio?
> Yes that is exactly correct, when you build a python extension it will
> look at the way python was compiled and use those settings ( this is just like
> PERL )

You're right about perl, however it uses the well behaved cc driver and
not an absolute path, as for Python (see the second issue) because cc is
/usr/bin/cc which is a link to /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc. This works
on my system but will not work without tweaking on the build system...

>> 2. How comes that a specific build machine path is used, i.e. Sun
>>    Studio is installed by default in /opt/SUNWspro (I know that it can
>>    be installed at the administrator's convenience and on the build
>>    machines is installed in a /opt/studio directory but that is another
>>    story)
>
> Unfortunately, this is just the way it is handled,  it is true for PERL and
> most if not all the other packages that have a pkg-config like structure.
>
> you should be able to work around this by setting the environment variables
> CC={path to cc} CXX={path to c++ (CC in SunStudio)}

But this will work only if I use Sun Studio C and not gcc.

I must confess that I don't like this situation of having more than a
compiler and doing acrobatics to handle weird issues. Well, I'm opting
to not provide some bindings.

--
Peter