[csw-maintainers] OpenCSW default PHP version

Mike Watters mwatters at opencsw.org
Sat May 9 03:56:49 CEST 2009

Ben Walton wrote:
> Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Fri May 08 17:23:22 -0400 2009:
>> do you remember the specifics of WHY?
>> i have forgotten.
>
> You didn't think it was hurting anything to keep it as is.  My view is
> that since it's dead upstream and our release is behind their last
> security release it should be dropped...I don't even think upping to
> the last 4.4.9 release is a reasonable time investment at this point.
>
>>>  If I changed my argument to 'remove it from the catalog, but
>>> leave it on the mirrors' would change your opinion Phil?
>> That makes no sense.
>> if we keep it, it stays in the catalog.
>
> I was just trying to provide a way for people that want it (for
> whatever reason) to be able to easily grab it without it being a
> supported package with the csw tool chain.  Drop it is my official
> stance.
>
>> its worth discussing what should be /opt/csw/bin/php though.
>>
>> I am in favour of it being php5.
>
> That's my vote, too.  I don't even think this is a real question at
> this point.
>
>> it doesnt look like there are any dependancies of OURS that use it.
>> However, it would need to be carefully announced ahead of time to users.
>
> Agreed.

OK,  Phil, can you put out a press release regarding php4 decommission.

I will handle php5.

Here is my plan.
I will keep the 5.2.9 version "as is" ... after the bug-fix and feature request
I am currently compiling.

I will make an announcement that as of release 5.3 ... road map for Q2 2009 ...
we are moving the installation to the "default" location.

thoughts?

- --
Thanks,
Mike

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex,
and more violent.  It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage --
to move in the opposite direction."

* Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955
    US German-born Theoretical Physicist