[csw-maintainers] pkgname limit 20 chars?

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Fri May 15 17:46:36 CEST 2009

Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> writes:

> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 03:43:10PM +0200, Sebastian Kayser wrote:
>>
>> Are we restricted by external limitations here?
>
> have to draw the line somewhere. we've drawn the line at 20 chars for
> [mumble] years. it's a reasonable place to draw it, and it doesnt matter
> much what the CSWxxxx package name is to users, so not having it exactly
> match the software name, really isnt important.

Sure but it's a PITA for people using "automatic" tools which derive the
package name from the software name. BTW, the only restriction is in Sys
V pkg where is defined as 256 ASCII characters (long and possibly ugly
but aesthetics are subjective by nature). I'm voting for longer than 20
characters (which is of the kind of the 64Kb of the first PC, i.e. "big
enough"... and blue)
--
Peter