[csw-maintainers] pkgname limit 20 chars?

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri May 15 18:26:32 CEST 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 05:46:36PM +0200, Peter FELECAN wrote:
> Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> writes:
> > have to draw the line somewhere. we've drawn the line at 20 chars for
> > [mumble] years. it's a reasonable place to draw it, and it doesnt matter
> > much what the CSWxxxx package name is to users, so not having it exactly
> > match the software name, really isnt important.
>
> Sure but it's a PITA for people using "automatic" tools which derive the
> package name from the software name.

conversely, reallystupidlylongpackagenamesthataddnovalue are a "PITA"
for people who dont use infinately wide screens, and want columnar output
summarizing things.

Other than gar "automatic creation of pkginfo" type stuff, any
"automatic tools", should be doing a lookup from the catalog, not making
bad assumptions.