[csw-maintainers] pkg-get/pkgutil: Download full dependency tree for offline installation?

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Tue May 26 21:47:33 CEST 2009

Mike Watters wrote:
> Sebastian Kayser wrote:
>> i have some machines that are not connected to the internet, where i
>> would
>> like to install some OpenCSW packages. What would be the best way to
>> download these packages (inluding dependencies) for offline
>> installation?
>> I don't want to pull the whole mirror, just the packages and their deps.
>>
>> I have thought about setting up a full root zone w/o CSW packages and do
>> pkg-get/pkgutil -d there, but i would prefer if there was an easier way.
>
> I assume they have network access internal, if you have a system that can
> connect to the internet, you could setup a local mirror and you could
> update
> all of your internal systems using that mirror.  use rsync and update as
> often
> as you feel appropriate.

There is no machine on this net with internet access ... restricted
environment. While i am still a bit reluctant to sync the whole mirror,
there is a workaround using pkgutil.

  PKG_INSTALL_ROOT=/dev/null pkgutil -d <swname>

This will make pkgparam which is invoked by pkgutil to check for installed
packages return an error and thus pkgutil will think that none of the
required/requested packages are installed. I end up with all required pkgs
and can transfer them via a USB stick/disk. :D

Btw., what's the disk usage of our current/ tree?

Sebastian