[csw-maintainers] Berkeley DB: Keep old versions or concentrate on 4.7?

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Wed May 27 23:25:16 CEST 2009

Hi,

Anfang der weitergeleiteten E-Mail:
> Von: Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com>
> On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 09:28:58PM +0200, Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
>> in Newpkgs is an updated bdb44 with 64 bit libs. I need it for
>> OpenLDAP and comparison against bdb47 which comes next:
>
> why do we need both 44 and 47?
>
> this sounds kinda bad to me.
> I vaguely recall that they DID actually build in some kind of
> backwards
> compat.
> and even our current berkeleydbXX packages may be redundant to some
> degree.

I don't know. Maybe someone has an advice on how to proceed with this.
The GAR recipe for bdb44 has been updated with 64 bit libs, but is this
version still needed? There are quite some dependencies listed:
   <http://opencsw.org/packages.php/berkeleydb44>
This includes subversion and perl, both of which should get updates
to 64 bit long term (svn 64 bit is needed for files > 2 GB. I don't
want to
discuss if this is a good idea, but we have a customer that needed
it and where I hand-build it).

Or should be officially drop 3.3, 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4 and just build 4.7?