[csw-maintainers] User requests symlinking from /usr/bin to /opt/csw/bin

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Sat Nov 21 10:56:15 CET 2009

Hi Phil,

Am 20.11.2009 um 18:10 schrieb Philip Brown:
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 6:24 AM, Dagobert Michelsen
> <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> Hi Phil,

>>> Let me give just one explicit example of why:
>>>
>>> "pkg-get install all"
>>
>> I can't imagine a single use of this. Why would anybody would want
>> all
>> packages?
>> There is so much special stuff in the catalog that I simply cannot
>> imagine
>> that
>> anybody would actually want to install everything.
>
> That's kind of like saying, "I cant imagine anyone would do a 'full
> install' in solaris. there's so many packages in there, no-one will
> want to actually use everything".

Anyway, this is not the point here. The point is: how can we integrate
packages that replace existing Solaris functionality without breaking
the usecase you described. I proposed a different package name prefix.
Please state if this would be feasible or if you have a better idea.
At least Sebastian and me are using it, so there is obiously a need
for this kind of packages. The example sendmail would also be a good
candidate for this.