[csw-maintainers] User requests symlinking from /usr/bin to /opt/csw/bin

Brian Hill bchill at opencsw.org
Fri Nov 20 19:40:05 CET 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 09:10:04AM -0800, Philip Brown wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 6:24 AM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> > Hi Phil,

> >> Let me give just one explicit example of why:
> >>
> >> "pkg-get install all"
> >
> > I can't imagine a single use of this. Why would anybody would want all
> > packages?
> > There is so much special stuff in the catalog that I simply cannot imagine
> > that
> > anybody would actually want to install everything.
>

> That's kind of like saying, "I cant imagine anyone would do a 'full
> install' in solaris. there's so many packages in there, no-one will
> want to actually use everything".
>

> :-P
>

> People DO install everything.
> Because it's easier/quicker than wading through everything deciding,
> "Hmm, install this yes or no?"

	I completely agree. When I do OS installs, I install
everything.  The time spent micro-deciding before system installs on
what's-going-to-be-installed-where across potentially hundreds or
thousands of systems is time totally wasted. It confuses users and
sysadmins alike, and causes productivity interuptions when a tool or
service is then suddenly needed on a system where it was thought it
would not be needed.

	I haven't installed all of the CSW tools yet, but as soon as I
find I need one, I install it on all Suns for consistency. I might
install it all at some point.

	I also don't think there is a problem with dangling symlinks.
My /usr/local tree has links that dangle depending on the OS - it's
never been a problem.

	In short, indeed, some people either do install everything or
are very likely to install everything. :-)

Brian