[csw-maintainers] coreutils

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sun Nov 22 23:05:20 CET 2009

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Fri Nov 20 14:57:26 -0500 2009:

> one way to handle this, over a LONG term, would be to define a
> virtual package CSWcoreutils (hmm.. or CSWgcoreutils, or
> CSWgnucoreutils might be better) which depended on all the ones it
> will eventually replace.

I don't think it's as large a task as I'd thought.  The following
packages have dependencies on one or more of {textutils, shutils,
fileutils}.

CSWquilt (Murray Jensen)
CSWgardevel (me)
CSWbuildbot (Maciej)
CSWcswutils (Dago)
CSWxmlto (me)
CSWlogwatch (Christian Pearce, retired)
CSWgcc3core (Peter F)
CSWrubydev (me)
CSWcolormake (orphaned)
CSWwgetpaste (Maciej)

So, of the 10 affected packages, I'm responsible for 3, Maciej 2, Dago
1 and Peter F 1.  I'm not sure how active Murray is, but his status is
still 'active', so presumably he'd reroll quilt.  That leaves only 2
orphaned packages for pickup.  Logwatch should be near trivial, I
think and I'm not sure what colormake would be like.

I've fixed a bunch of the breakages I found in coreutils already and
we have a coreutils devel with a buildfarm account that I'll leverage
to help fix anything I can't do on my own.

Given the above, I think it's pretty reasonable to have all packages
with deps on the old names updated and a coreutils release at the same
time.

Thoughts?

Thanks

GPG Key Id: 8E89F6D2; Key Server: pgp.mit.edu
Contact me to arrange for a CAcert assurance meeting.