[csw-maintainers] coreutils

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Sun Nov 22 23:14:09 CET 2009

Hi Ben,

Am 22.11.2009 um 23:05 schrieb Ben Walton:
> Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Fri Nov 20 14:57:26 -0500 2009:
>
>> one way to handle this, over a LONG term, would be to define a
>> virtual package CSWcoreutils (hmm.. or CSWgcoreutils, or
>> CSWgnucoreutils might be better) which depended on all the ones it
>> will eventually replace.
>
> I don't think it's as large a task as I'd thought.  The following
> packages have dependencies on one or more of {textutils, shutils,
> fileutils}.
>
> CSWquilt (Murray Jensen)
> CSWgardevel (me)
> CSWbuildbot (Maciej)
> CSWcswutils (Dago)
> CSWxmlto (me)
> CSWlogwatch (Christian Pearce, retired)
> CSWgcc3core (Peter F)
> CSWrubydev (me)
> CSWcolormake (orphaned)
> CSWwgetpaste (Maciej)
>
> So, of the 10 affected packages, I'm responsible for 3, Maciej 2, Dago
> 1 and Peter F 1.  I'm not sure how active Murray is, but his status is
> still 'active', so presumably he'd reroll quilt.

I just got an email from him that he is still with us, but didn't have the
time (yet) to jump onto GAR. Maybe we can help him to get started with
a one-on-one tutorial with one of his packages.

> That leaves only 2
> orphaned packages for pickup.  Logwatch should be near trivial, I
> think and I'm not sure what colormake would be like.

Just a script, but a manual build. Should be no longer than maybe
two hours or so.

> I've fixed a bunch of the breakages I found in coreutils already and
> we have a coreutils devel with a buildfarm account that I'll leverage
> to help fix anything I can't do on my own.
>
> Given the above, I think it's pretty reasonable to have all packages
> with deps on the old names updated and a coreutils release at the same
> time.
>
> Thoughts?

I really like to see that you are going to work on this. Will your work
also include adding the gnu links inside the packages?