[csw-maintainers] stable release?

James Lee james at opencsw.org
Thu Oct 15 10:54:34 CEST 2009

On 14/10/09, 21:44:50, Peter Bonivart <bonivart at opencsw.org> wrote
regarding Re: [csw-maintainers] stable release?:

> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 10:32 PM, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote:
> > yes that is exactly what we used to do. we used to have a "quarterly
> > freeze" time.

> That freeze also affected unstable for some reason. We were basically
> not being able to release anything for weeks. If were going to revive
> this corpse we should still be able to release to current.

This is really a practical consideration because it takes time
to test and we rely on field experiences as part of verification.
Unless a package is used we get no feed back, further it's the
overall combination that matters so the combination needs field
time.  We need additions built against the unstable build as
that's the build machine state.  Hence we can't have new unstable
releases during the stable consideration period.  If there were
1,000s beta testers we'd be all right; in effect we are using
unstable users as beta testers.

> Is it really stability which we hardly can guarantee or is it
> just a frozen state?

It's not a frozen state, it's a QAed state.  It's doesn't come
with a guarantee but people pay jack shit for the process.

James.