[csw-maintainers] stable release?

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Fri Oct 16 18:20:41 CEST 2009

Hi,

Am 15.10.2009 um 18:42 schrieb James Lee:
> On 15/10/09, 17:29:29, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote
> regarding Re:
> [csw-maintainers] stable release?:
>
>>> One thing I'd suggest is to only aim for 2 stable releases per year.
>>> More than that and too much time is spent in freeze states, I think.
>>
>> i agree. not to mention there's less burnout, etc.
>
> Not necessarily, anything changed gets more rigourous test, (no change
> plus no depend change means no test is needed), the longer you leave
> it the more there is.  It also get increasingly hard to stop-gap carry
> over.  We are facing this now, eg, if BDB screws it's not practical to
> carry stuff over from 18 months - it needs fixing.

Yes. Hopefully this BDB thing gets fixed tomorrow. But I replied for
another reason: It would be nice to note on a package which status
it is in:
- untested
- tested, open bugs
- tested, no open bugs
- ready for stable
If all the dependencies are "ready for stable" too it would be ok
to release. That way it would be easy to see how far away we are
from a release, not only for James who of course knows this, but
for the rest of us :-)

Maybe we can use a field in the database for this?