[csw-maintainers] GAR classes list variable name

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Tue Sep 22 18:38:04 CEST 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 10:08 AM, Sebastian Kayser <skayser at opencsw.org> wrote:
> I don't quite like the PROTOTYPE_ prefix from a user perspective when it
> comes to variable naming (it exposes internal details), but it feels a
> bit cleaner to me right now.
>
> 1) Generic: possible prototype adjustments are not restricted to
> USERGROUP related actions. You might only want to set the suid bit for
> example.

The values from USERGROUP_* can be passed along (aliases?) for
PROTOTYPE_* variables.

> 2) Consistent naming: GAR has a suffix way of declaring things right now
> (PKGFILES_, CATALOGNAME_, ...), which i think we should be consistent
> with when it comes to new features.

The reason why I wrote USERGROUP_mytweaks_USER instead of
USERGROUP_USER_mytweaks is because the latter suggests that there's
"the" user for USERGROUP. Perhaps it's just me. I don't insist,
anyway, I just think it's more intuitive, because it follows the logic
of getting from the general to the specific: first, I know I'm going
to do something with users and groups; second, I know I'm going to
have a name for a specific tweak I'm doing; and third, I know what
specifics is my tweak going to have. But I don't insist, if others
think that suffix is better, I don't have a problem with it. It just
has to be well-documented, and GAR stuff usually is well documented.
(yey for the GAR Variable Reference page!)