[csw-maintainers] GAR classes list variable name

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Tue Sep 22 19:03:15 CEST 2009

Hi Mcaiej,

Am 22.09.2009 um 18:38 schrieb Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski:
>> 2) Consistent naming: GAR has a suffix way of declaring things
>> right now
>> (PKGFILES_, CATALOGNAME_, ...), which i think we should be consistent
>> with when it comes to new features.
>
> The reason why I wrote USERGROUP_mytweaks_USER instead of
> USERGROUP_USER_mytweaks is because the latter suggests that there's
> "the" user for USERGROUP. Perhaps it's just me. I don't insist,
> anyway, I just think it's more intuitive, because it follows the logic
> of getting from the general to the specific: first, I know I'm going
> to do something with users and groups; second, I know I'm going to
> have a name for a specific tweak I'm doing; and third, I know what
> specifics is my tweak going to have.

Right, but OTOH we currently have two types of variables with
expansions in it: <var>_<expansion> for most of them and
<var>_<modvar1>-<val1>-<modvar2>-<val2>-... for modulations.
Introducing <expansion> in the middle makes it clearer in
one thing and more irregular in another thing. I would
prefer regularity over intuitivity.