[csw-maintainers] Upgrade problems??

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri Apr 9 22:23:26 CEST 2010

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 12:59 PM, Roger Håkansson <hson at opencsw.org> wrote:
> On 2010-04-05 04:05, Jeffery Small wrote:
>>
>> CSWpoppler is a rendering library while CSWxpdf is a PDF viewer.
>>
>> CSWpoppler is required for evince, gimp and claws_pdfviewer,
>
> And evince and claws_pdfviewer is also PDF viewers, whats your point?

The missing piece of the puzzle here, is that this pulls up a bit of
legacy naming problem.
evince, etc. have depended on "CSWpoppler" for a long time now.

The problem is that the actual contents of the package, would more
accurately be described as "libpoppler".

One way of getting us closer to sanity, would be to take the following steps.

1. Create new "libpoppler" packages, and submit them as official
packages. (I unfortunately had to wipe the old ones), for conflicts of
some sort.

2. Create an empty CSWpoppler and submit that for now also.

This would have the benefit of getting newer versions of the poppler
libs into our existing evince packages, and potentialy allowing newer
ones to be built, too

3. recompile evince, and the handful of other things currently
depending on "CSWpoppler", to properly depend on CSWlibpoppler