[csw-maintainers] About SUNW X11, CSW X11 and OpenGL

Roger Håkansson hson at opencsw.org
Fri Apr 9 22:55:51 CEST 2010

On 2010-04-06 16:22, Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am experimenting in doing specific compiles for SUNW X11 and
> CSW X11 to provide accelerated 3D with SUNW X11 while allowing
> up-to-date packages with OpenCSW X11. Some notes:
>
> (1) Package names and contents
> I suggest making different sets of packages,
> CSW<pkg> bound against SUNW X11
> CSWx11<pkg> bound against OpenCSW X11
> where <pkg> conforms to regular naming standards, like *rt, etc.
> The files in CSWx11<pkg> are in /opt/csw/X11/* while the files for
> CSW<pkg> are in regular /opt/csw/(lib|...) locations. This way
> existing binaries without OpenCSW X11 can continue to work.
> Only CSWx11<pkg> depends on CSWx11smi, CSWx11libx11, etc.

Wait a minute, you're proposing that we start releasing two versions of
the same package for a ton of packages?
And the number will also increase a lot in the near future. I've been
working on updating some gnome-apps and I think I have more than 20 new
packages which the gnome-guys have added as build dependencies for gnome
packages which we need to update (in order to release updated versions
of applications).

Don't you think this will become a nightmare where in the end many
packages with libraries need to be built in two versions just because
some end-application need OpenCSW X11?
Lets say gimp were to need OpenCSW X11, the imagemagick would need to be
built in two versions, graphviz, ghostscript... all the way through the
dependency chain.
If you take a look at the list of packages on the "project X11" page,
its not a small list and then you need to combine it with the list of
packages that already have been rebuilt using OpenCSW X11.

I'm not familiar with the initial problem (which called for the OpenCSW
X11), but I think this could get us digging ourselves deeper into a hole
instead of getting us out of it.
I'm not saying that we should do it in either way, just that maybe we
should think about it some more before hasting into a solution that
might bite back at us later on.