[csw-maintainers] Updated postfix packages (2.7.1) in experimental/, testing appreciated

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Tue Aug 17 19:12:00 CEST 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 6:49 PM, Sebastian Kayser <skayser at opencsw.org> wrote:
> * Sebastian Kayser <skayser at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> after ages(eseses) I finally tackled the postfix package upgrade and an
>> updated package (2.7.1) is now available from experimental/.
>
> A question regarding the package: currently it is the full featured
> postfix with all dependencies (ldap, kerberos, postgres, mysql).
>
> In addition to this package I would like to provide a postfix_simple
> package which is a feature-stripped version without a big dependency
> chain. Similar to what Ihsan provides on his own [1].
>
> Are there any objections to or thoughts on this? The GAR recipe [2]
> already supports building this alternative package by setting
> 'BUILDTYPE=simple' on the commandline, so it's just a matter of running
> the build twice.

Great work! Something similar needs to be done to Sendmail. I know
Mike Watters worked on modernizing it, I'll take a look at what he
did.

Regarding the deps for postfix (looking at the one currently in the
catalog), on Solaris 10/i386 it's a 31 MB download, not too extreme.
Not all those deps are postfix's fault either, packages like sasl
needs to be respun to loose the dep to full openssl for example.

Sendmail, for comparison, is a 14 MB download, also hurt by sasl
pulling in full openssl. We could save 4 MB by rebuilding sasl alone.

--
/peter