[csw-maintainers] checkpkg: File collision detection available for testing

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Wed Dec 8 18:57:45 CET 2010

No dia 8 de Dezembro de 2010 17:18, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> escreveu:
> Errr... It should be noted somewhere.. ideally in the naming of the
> override mechanism itself... that such overrides, are only TEMPORARY.
> file collision is a "hard stop". while you can override collisions
> that may be present on the build farm; packages that collide with
> other packages present in "current", will not be accepted into
> "current".

Right, it's checkpkg's way of displaying errors.  In the first phase,
checkpkg was displaying just errors:

Error: CSWfoo: kittens-missing

In the following discussion it was pointed out that checkpkg could
also print overrides, so it would be easier for people to work with
them.  The output started looking like this:

Error: CSWfoo: kittens-missing
(...)
CHECKPKG_OVERRIDES_CSWfoo += kittens-missing

After setting checkpkg to this kind of output, it became apparent that
the two messages are in fact redundant.  One can be derived from the
other, and we can as well display just one of them.  The more useful
one is the override definition, and that's the one which stayed.  The
output then currently is:

CHECKPKG_OVERRIDES_CSWfoo += kittens-missing

...which is both an error report and an override template.  For some
errors, there are also longer explanations given above.

So far, maintainers have been doing a good job reading them carefully
and only applying overrides where appropriate.