[csw-maintainers] Package browser enhancement (was Re: Bug in HTML on our website)

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Dec 13 17:47:45 CET 2010

On 12/13/10, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> Am 13.12.2010 um 04:09 schrieb Philip Brown:

>> I'm confused
>>
>> what "direct download"? there isnt one.
>

> "Direct download" means there should be one :-)

still unclear to me.

direct download of original source?
of gar tree?
based on below, you may also mean "direct download of binary package"?

> This would be useful although we have pkg-get/pkgutil because some packages
> don't have dependencies and the package-pages are usually the destinations
> from where upstream links to. The people coming from there have no clue how
> to get the package from the page otherwise.

Then maybe the page just needs to be modified to more "loudly" say,
[here's how you get the packages]
(ie: link to the "get it" page(s))

As you say, some packages have dependencies. MANY dependencies. It
doesnt make sense to manually link to ONE package for manual download,
when the user will then have to manually go download individually, 40
other packages as well.
And 40 is not exaggeration.