[csw-maintainers] Dependencies on SUNW packages (was: newpkgs libslp1, openslp_devel)

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Tue Dec 21 18:16:21 CET 2010

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Tue Dec 21 12:12:08 -0500 2010:

> first of all, I'm curious what you meant by "list". were you
> speaking webpage, or actual depend file?

Pretty sure we're all meaning depend file here.

> secondly... if we have a dependancy on a semi-'rare' sun
> package... we can and SHOULD put in SUNW packages as a dependancy.
> We dont usually bother having SUNWxxx in depend, because they are
> probably installed anyway.

I think this makes sense.  It would be better to fail at install time
and have the admin add the semi-'rare' package than mysteriously fail
at runtime.  The runtime failure may not always have a readily
apparent reason, but the install-time failure will make it crystal
clear.

Thanks