[csw-maintainers] ITP: opencsw-policy

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Fri Dec 31 21:43:58 CET 2010

Excerpts from Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski's message of Fri Dec 31 15:32:08 -0500 2010:

> mouth when talking in private.  Another issue: having public
> archives of policy discussions might be important for newcomers, who
> might want to read discussions behind policy decisions.  Otherwise
> you might see the same questions raised over and over again, or you
> would have to document all of them.

Agreed.  +1 for public discussion of policy.  There is no need to keep
this behind closed doors.  If the 'public' cares enough about a
specific issue being discussed, it might even encourage audience
participation, which wouldn't be bad, I don't think...we often wonder
what the users are doing, so if we have a chance to hear from them
about things we're planning that will affect them, this is a good
thing!

> I'd say that creating the new mailing list should happen when we
> notice concrete problems with existing discussions and agree that a
> private list would solve them.

Also agreed.  If the policy specific volume on maintainers@ becomes a
significant proportion, we could split it out at a later time.

Thanks