[csw-maintainers] Problem with "alternatives" on updates

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Fri Feb 5 20:12:54 CET 2010

Excerpts from Dagobert Michelsen's message of Fri Feb 05 14:04:18 -0500 2010:

Hi Dago,

> Clever! However, and here comes the tricky part: Which package should
> contain this generic alternatives-upgrade-hook? CSWalternatives itself?
> I would think so, but is the user supposed to know of the differences
> between pkg-get and pkgutil? Can we make him aware of differences in
> upgrade procedures?

I think the CSWalternatives package is a good spot for it.  I'd
suggest that the recently suggested i.cswnotice CAS be used to present
a message at CSWalternatives install time indicating that unless the
user uses pkgutil, some functionality will not work and that they'd
need to manually intervene with the alternatives system.

Thanks