[csw-maintainers] confused with build-global and build-isa...

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Wed Feb 10 15:52:36 CET 2010

Hi Jake,

Am 09.02.2010 um 20:46 schrieb Jake Goerzen:
> For me $(WORKDIR) expands to (work/solaris8-sparc/build-global) and
> $(WORKSRC) expands to
> (work/solaris8-sparc/build-global/gkrellm-2.3.4).  However GAR didn't
> extract my source here.  GAR extracted my source in:
>
> work/solaris8-sparc/build-isa-sparcv8/gkrellm-2.3.4
>
> Notice build-isa-sparcv8 instead of build-global.  At the moment I
> hacked this together and it works:
>
> pre-configure-modulated:
>        @cp $(FILEDIR)/Makefile $(WORKROOTDIR)/build-$(MODULATIONS)/$
> (GARNAME)-$
> (GARVERSION)/Makefile
>        @cp $(FILEDIR)/src.Makefile $(WORKROOTDIR)/build-$
> (MODULATIONS)/$(GARNAM
> E)-$(GARVERSION)/src/Makefile
>        @cp $(FILEDIR)/server.Makefile $(WORKROOTDIR)/build-$
> (MODULATIONS)/$(GAR
> NAME)-$(GARVERSION)/server/Makefile
>
> The full recipe is commited to GAR:
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/browser/csw/mgar/pkg/gkrellm/trunk/Makefile

Ok, there are number of issues here:

1. Please add all files in files/ to either DISTFILES or PATCHFILES
Doing so adds them for checksumming and will allow a clean collection
of files
for source packages later on. All files here will be delivered to $
(WORKDIR),
pristine for build-global and uncompresses for build-<modulation>

2. There are multiple modulations, at least the global modulation and
an ISA specific one
The global modulation is for downlading files and building the
package, all expansion and
building is done in a ISA-specific modulation. That's why you see
build-global and
build-isa-sparcv8 / build-isa-i386

3. Make sure to call $(MAKECOOKIE) at the end
Otherwise the rule will be exeuted multipe times and can cause harm if
it is
not involutionary.

4. Apply in post-extract-modulated
The copy operation than is applied after extraction. The copying in
the global
modulation usually fails, but causes no harm. That's why I prefixed it
with '-'.
This should be enhanced in a future GAR version that the rules for
global/specific
can be easier separated. I have made ticket for it:
   <http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/ticket/14>

Anyway, I updated your Makefile and everything should be fine now.
Sorry for
twiddling so much with your package, but while I was at it I just
couldn't stop :-)
Feel free to rip it apart as it uses quite some of the newer GAR
features now.

Best regards and thanks for your efforts

   --  Dago