[csw-maintainers] confused with build-global and build-isa...

Jake Goerzen jgoerzen at opencsw.org
Wed Feb 10 22:11:34 CET 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 6:52 AM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Hi Jake,
>
> Am 09.02.2010 um 20:46 schrieb Jake Goerzen:
>>
>> For me $(WORKDIR) expands to (work/solaris8-sparc/build-global) and
>> $(WORKSRC) expands to
>> (work/solaris8-sparc/build-global/gkrellm-2.3.4).  However GAR didn't
>> extract my source here.  GAR extracted my source in:
>>
>> work/solaris8-sparc/build-isa-sparcv8/gkrellm-2.3.4
>>
>> Notice build-isa-sparcv8 instead of build-global.  At the moment I
>> hacked this together and it works:
>>
>> pre-configure-modulated:
>>       @cp $(FILEDIR)/Makefile
>> $(WORKROOTDIR)/build-$(MODULATIONS)/$(GARNAME)-$
>> (GARVERSION)/Makefile
>>       @cp $(FILEDIR)/src.Makefile
>> $(WORKROOTDIR)/build-$(MODULATIONS)/$(GARNAM
>> E)-$(GARVERSION)/src/Makefile
>>       @cp $(FILEDIR)/server.Makefile
>> $(WORKROOTDIR)/build-$(MODULATIONS)/$(GAR
>> NAME)-$(GARVERSION)/server/Makefile
>>
>> The full recipe is commited to GAR:
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/browser/csw/mgar/pkg/gkrellm/trunk/Makefile
>
> Ok, there are number of issues here:
>
> 1. Please add all files in files/ to either DISTFILES or PATCHFILES
> Doing so adds them for checksumming and will allow a clean collection of
> files
> for source packages later on. All files here will be delivered to
> $(WORKDIR),
> pristine for build-global and uncompresses for build-<modulation>
>
> 2. There are multiple modulations, at least the global modulation and an ISA
> specific one
> The global modulation is for downlading files and building the package, all
> expansion and
> building is done in a ISA-specific modulation. That's why you see
> build-global and
> build-isa-sparcv8 / build-isa-i386

Thank you for explaining this.  I knew that the actual build was being
done in the ISA-specific modulation but I didn't fully understand what
build-global was for.

> 3. Make sure to call $(MAKECOOKIE) at the end
> Otherwise the rule will be exeuted multipe times and can cause harm if it is
> not involutionary.
>
> 4. Apply in post-extract-modulated
> The copy operation than is applied after extraction. The copying in the
> global
> modulation usually fails, but causes no harm. That's why I prefixed it with
> '-'.
> This should be enhanced in a future GAR version that the rules for
> global/specific
> can be easier separated. I have made ticket for it:
>  <http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/ticket/14>
>
> Anyway, I updated your Makefile and everything should be fine now. Sorry for
> twiddling so much with your package, but while I was at it I just couldn't
> stop :-)
> Feel free to rip it apart as it uses quite some of the newer GAR features
> now.

Thank you I'm looking at this now and starting to understand better.

not sure what this means, does this mean /usr/ucb/install is going to
be used? Shouldn't I use /opt/csw/bin/ginstall instead?

INSTALL_OVERRIDE_VARS = INSTALL
INSTALL_OVERRIDE_VAR_INSTALL = /usr/ucb/install

Thanks,
Jake