[csw-maintainers] ldd -r and "symbol not found:" errors: how to disable the check

Roger Håkansson hson at opencsw.org
Thu Feb 11 18:06:46 CET 2010

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Roger Håkansson <hson at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> Found another problem:
>>
>> When building libsoup, I get:
>> CSWlibsoup: symbol-not-found libsoup-gnome-2.4.so.1.2.0
>>
>> libsoup-gnome-2.4.so.1.2.0 is the binary file and there are two links to
>> that file, libsoup-gnome-2.4.so.1 and libsoup-gnome-2.4.so.
>> SONAME for that lib is libsoup-gnome-2.4.so.1 so why checkpkg complains
>> about not finding libsoup-gnome-2.4.so.1.2.0 I can't see.
>
> What's the output of "ldd -r libsoup-gnome-2.4.so.1.2.0"?  If there
> are any "symbol not found" message, that would explain the thrown
> error.

Ahh, I misinterpreted the error message, I thought the missing symbol
was libsoup-gnome-2.4.so.1.2.0.
It's the same problem as I reported earlier, libsoup-gnome-2.4.so.1.2.0
(with SONAME libsoup-gnome-2.4.so.1) have missing symbols (when running
ldd -r ) which belongs to another lib (libsoup-2.4.so. in the libsoup
package.

>> Also, in the package I've included the libraries from the current libsoup
>> and libsoup2 packages and for one of those libraries I get the same error
>
> The same thing, try looking at "ldd -r <file>".

In this case, the error is related to this error:
   CheckpkgTag('CSWlibsoup', 'orphan-soname', 'libgnutls.so.11', ...)

Also I'm wondering how the "missing-dependency" check is done, because
I've seem many strange errors from this one.
Most of the times it's like this:
Package CSWxxx have binaries, CSWxxxrt have libraries and CSWxxxdevel.
And since CSWxxx isn't really a requirement for development, only
CSWxxxrt is listed in RUNTIME_DEP_PKGS_CSWxxxdevel.
But "missing-dependency" always (at least from what I've seen) suggests
that CSWxxxrt is a unnecessary dependency for CSWxxxdevel and that
CSWxxx should be a added as a dependency. But what it bases that
suggestion on I can't see.