[csw-maintainers] ldd -r and "symbol not found:" errors: how to disable the check

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Thu Feb 11 18:22:47 CET 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 5:06 PM, Roger Håkansson <hson at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Also I'm wondering how the "missing-dependency" check is done, because I've
> seem many strange errors from this one.
> Most of the times it's like this:
> Package CSWxxx have binaries, CSWxxxrt have libraries and CSWxxxdevel.
> And since CSWxxx isn't really a requirement for development, only CSWxxxrt
> is listed in RUNTIME_DEP_PKGS_CSWxxxdevel.
> But "missing-dependency" always (at least from what I've seen) suggests that
> CSWxxxrt is a unnecessary dependency for CSWxxxdevel and that CSWxxx should
> be a added as a dependency. But what it bases that suggestion on I can't
> see.

There are some heuristics done, and the reasons aren't propagated
outside of the script.  I plan to extend the dependency checker so
that it tells which packages should have dependencies and why it
thinks that.  My guesses are:

CSWxxxdevel has no binaries that link against CSWxxxrt, so CSWxxxrt
doesn't seem necessary.

CSWxxx looks like a base name for CSWxxxrt, so it suggests that maybe
it CSWxxxrt is an extension for CSWxxx.  Again, a heuristic.

These are only fuzzy guesses, and they only print messages to the
screen.  Once the dependency code becomes smarter and confident, it'll
start throwing errors.  In the current state of affairs, you can
safely assume you're smarter than the script.