[csw-maintainers] bad interactions with CSWcommon

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Thu Jul 22 03:54:55 CEST 2010

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Fri Jul 16 17:43:50 -0400 2010:

> what I wrote is still basically the same either way though.

No.  It isn't.  What's you've done is wrong.  In the technical sense.
It goes against the grain of what gettext is trying to provide.

> Things dont technically "break" in the crash sense. But they dont
> "work right". they just revert to as if it was not set in the first
> place.

Right.  This is the _intended_ behaviour.

> Would you mind doing a little research&inquiry into why specifically
> the coreutils people provided those symlinks, please?

I'm not going to bother them with this.  I had previously combed
through the code and there are places where they explicitly set the
category to LC_TIME though.

> As in, finding out from them what specifically works, with their
> links in place, and what breaks,if they are not in place?

This is doing nothing but wasting my time.  I've already read through
the gettext docs.  The symlinks at the directory level are the wrong
approach here.  I'll pose a question for you to research instead.
What happens if all of the following are true:

1. CSWcommon continues providing the directory level symlinks making
   LC_TIME/$foo equivalent to LC_MESSAGES/$foo.
2. A package delivers locale files for one of the locales for which #1
   above is true.
3. The package in #2 intends to deliver separate .mo files, which is
   perfectly withing the gettext specifications.

Thanks