[csw-maintainers] Define supported use cases and work from there

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Sat Jun 26 17:29:59 CEST 2010

For as long as I can remember we have had these issues with NFS,
zones, SMF, OpenSolaris and so on. Usually someone finds something
that doesn't work and we jump into a technical discussion of how we
can fix that case. Often seemingly small changes then break stuff,
i.e. makes stuff worse.

The big problem, as I see it, is that the fixes we try to provide only
help very few but complicate/break stuff for many. It also takes a
long time to "discuss" this since what people want is already locked
and their flavor of solution is "simple" (to them). During this time,
we have broken packages and/or a halted release process. Right now we
have both with the init script placement issue.

I suggest that we define which use cases we should support and in
which priority. I think it will be much easier to solve technical
issues if we have agreed on the goals. It will also increase the
chance of a maintainer to do the right thing from the start instead of
personal interpretations of what we have lacked to document. Not to
mention that end users can actually know what to expect.

--
/peter