[csw-maintainers] [csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs libpaper

Roger Håkansson hson at opencsw.org
Thu Mar 18 19:06:50 CET 2010

On 2010-03-18 19:00, Philip Brown wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 9:58 AM, Roger Håkansson<hson at opencsw.org>  wrote:
>>
>>> Hmm.. actually, seems like the whole thing is a debian-ism. it doesnt
>>> have a proper 3rd-party home site?Ugh, i hate those kinds of things...
>>>
>>> perhaps you should bug them to "encourage" they migrate it to
>>> sourceforge.
>> They explicitly say that the debian site is the home for this package.
>> Which isn't that strange since the original author seemed to be involved
>> with debian for a long time.
>
> Did you actually request it though?

Not myself, no, but I did see something similar (don't remember where)
and the idea wasn't a success...

> What I am suggesting, is that since this has clearly become a "greater
> than debian" project,

Well, I think its the opposite, libpaper has been around since pre-96
(1.0.4 was released 1996) and somewhere along the way the original
author switched his primary email to a debian.org and when he left the
debian guys probably took over the development.

> and in order to foster even more widespread adoption,
> it would probably benefit both them and others, to put it up
> on sourceforge (or somewhere similar. savanna.gnu.org or whatever, if
> they prefer?)

Well, I can guess their answer:
Why should they move?
All major distribs already use it and what's the difference if its
hosted by sourceforge, wikidot, google or debian when it's something
that is pretty stable (been around for at least 14 years) and has very
little development (the only thing that has happened in the last three
years is debian-specific translations).
For the current developers, its just a lot of work for no gain.
I know that if I were the developers I would just laugh at anyone
masking such a request.

 > Nothing is lost by asking, hmm?

Well, the biggest issue is whom I should ask.
There isn't any mailing-list and the current maintainer seems to have
vanished (which is why nmu1 and nmu2 were created, it was the debian
i18n team that created those releases)