[csw-maintainers] Bugreport on alternatives with NFS-shared /opt/csw

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Mar 22 19:40:58 CET 2010

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:

> I'll do some GAR integration to make this as straight-forward as
> alternatives.

Great! thanks.

> However, all this doesn't bring us close to NFS-sharing when
> alternatives are used. Suggestions, gentlemen?

I will repeat my question/request, that before people can make
suggestiions for solutions, they first need to be better informed on
exactly what our "alternatives" system does in /etc/opt.

With a reminder that the "best behaviour" would presumably be to use /etc/opt as
an *optional*, but not *required*, enhancement.

ie: If /etc/opt was normally used to preserve user choices across
upgrades... but without it, some kind of sane "default" was made
visible... then in the NFS shared /opt/csw situation, it would be
acceptible to lose the "preserve choices", as long as it just went
with the default behaviour, rather than "I'm not going to work now".