[csw-maintainers] Bugreport on alternatives with NFS-shared /opt/csw

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Mon Mar 22 21:10:29 CET 2010

Hi Phil,

Am 22.03.2010 um 19:40 schrieb Philip Brown:
> On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Dagobert Michelsen
> <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
>>
>> I'll do some GAR integration to make this as straight-forward as
>> alternatives.
>
> Great! thanks.
>
>> However, all this doesn't bring us close to NFS-sharing when
>> alternatives are used. Suggestions, gentlemen?
>
> I will repeat my question/request, that before people can make
> suggestiions for solutions, they first need to be better informed on
> exactly what our "alternatives" system does in /etc/opt.
>
> With a reminder that the "best behaviour" would presumably be to
> use /etc/opt as
> an *optional*, but not *required*, enhancement.
>
> ie: If /etc/opt was normally used to preserve user choices across
> upgrades... but without it, some kind of sane "default" was made
> visible... then in the NFS shared /opt/csw situation, it would be
> acceptible to lose the "preserve choices", as long as it just went
> with the default behaviour, rather than "I'm not going to work now".

Alternatives makes a link from the thing to choose to /etc/opt/csw/
alternatives/<pkg>.
There is another link to the final file which is automacially handled
by alternatives.
If on the source location the link is not pointing to /etc/opt/csw/...
the
alternatives system doesn't touch it as the link probably has been done
manually. In general it is possible to hardwire it to minimal with a
specific
class. The idea would be to have a cas script that reads the csw.conf
if it
is NFS shared or not and when in NFS-share-mode it makes one static
link without
alternatives. I could add this to the existing alternatives CAS.
Comments?