[csw-maintainers] [csw-buildfarm] ClamAV 0.96 on Solaris9/10 - Intel

Roger Håkansson hson at opencsw.org
Wed Mar 31 20:19:25 CEST 2010

On 2010-03-31 19:16, Peter FELECAN wrote:
>>> gcc is not so OS bound (if you have specifics I'm eager to know them).
>>
>> Well, they have target-OS compiled into the binaries, i.e 'gcc -v'
>> gives 'Target: i386-pc-solaris2.8' (on x86) regardless of actual OS
>
> That only a epiphenomena and doesn't imply a misfeature.

Not in it self, no, but when others start using that as basis for
optimizing/configuring their software things can go seriously wrong.
I've seen several packages where they use the output from gcc to figure
out which OS they are running and what features they can use.

>> Releasing separate packages should be easier than fixing the broken ones...
>
> The issue is only with fixing the includes and it can be done manually;
> BTW, it *must* be done manually when you upgrade your system's
> headers. Consequently, I don't see how releasing separate packages give a
> better solution.

Yes, fixing the includes should always be done regardless of whether its
a multi-OS release or not. But I still argue that gcc is one of the
packages where we should ship separate packages for each release.