[csw-maintainers] License / copyright files in packages

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Wed Nov 10 16:49:27 CET 2010

No dia 9 de Novembro de 2010 16:59, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> escreveu:
> On 11/9/10, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski <maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:
>>

>> Phil, would you like to suggest a syntax for copyright file references?
>>

> I thought I just did.
> grep for /opt/csw/share/doc, in the "i copyright" file.

OK, so it's /opt/csw/share/doc/\S+ anywhere in the file.  I have some
further questions.

> there are exactly two expected cases for the copyright file.
>
> a) it contains the copyright in its entirety. Stop. Nothing to see here :)

What if the file is, let's say, 1 line long and does not contain a reference?

> b) it contains a reference to the full copyright file. That file
> should live under /opt/csw/share/doc somewhere.

What if the file contains more than one reference to a file in
/otp/csw/share/doc?  Is it allowed?  Is the file allowed to contain
text other than the reference?  How much of it is allowed?

> Note that it may NOT always be /opt/csw/share/doc/[softwarename],
> since some packages, for valid reasons, keep their docs under
> /opt/csw/share/doc/[somethingelse]
> It makes the most sense to me, to keep the copyright notice in the
> same place as (the rest of the docs for the package)

Does every package contain the actual copyright file, or can one
package reference a license file contained in another package?