[csw-maintainers] http://www.opencsw.org/packages/<pkg>: Add GAR build recipe URL to package page?

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Thu Nov 11 00:22:21 CET 2010

Philip Brown wrote on 05.11.2010 17:56:
> On 11/5/10, Sebastian Kayser <skayser at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> * Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> OPENCSW_REPOSITORY=https://gar.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gar/csw/mgar/pkg/software/trunk@12345
>>>
>>> That does not refer to a specific file.
>>>
>>> If we are planning to make OPENCSW_REPOSITORY visible in our package
>>> information webpage, then "description" does not fit that information.
>>
>> Isn't what the user sees once he clicks this sort of link (adjusted to
>> be browser-usable of course) a build description? I tend to agree with
>> Maciej that the location is an implementation detail and the field name
>> should describe what content the link is pointing to.
>
> That would only be true, if you CHANGE the link.
> Clearly, the link as it currently stands, points to a directory that
> it was built from, not a file.

True, somehow I was mistaken that it would point to the Makefile instead
of the directory. Which is fine with me. Sorry for the confusion.

Regarding the naming, the URL points to a certain point-in-time-copy of
the build directory that as a whole represents or "describes" how the
currently published package version was built. So if it stays as is
(i.e. with revision information) "package build description" IMHO fits
the bill, but I'll also be happy with Jonathan's suggestion of "package
build repository" (although this somehow implies a moving target).

Anyway, it's a matter of two different words. I'd rather care about the
actual implementation. Phil, any chance you got round to add the
OPENCSW_REPOSITORY field to the database yet? Please yell once that's
done so that someone (if need be, me) can go ahead and adjust the
wordpress stuff.

Sebastian