[csw-maintainers] commentary on shared library naming proposal

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Tue Nov 16 21:10:36 CET 2010

No dia 16 de Novembro de 2010 17:00, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> escreveu:
> On 11/16/10, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski <maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> No dia 16 de Novembro de 2010 14:19, Sebastian Kayser
>> <skayser at opencsw.org> escreveu:
>>>
>>> When it comes to policy vs "when seen beneficial" in this case, I regard
>>> it as helpful to have as few exceptions and as much of a standard as
>>> possible.
>>
>> There's also the question of who is the subject to see the benefit.
>
> "The benefit " is supposed to be for the user, not the maintainer OR
> the release manager. :)

How does the release manager know what's the best for the user?  It's
not a rhetorical question.  I'm interested to know in the process.

> As far as who determines it before the package is released:
> by definition, the person with the most authority to make that
> decision, is the release manager.
>
>> Is it the maintainer or the release manager?  What if the two
>> disagree?
>
> Ideally, "the maintainer" should respect the release manager's
> experience in the matter.
> But there's always recourse to the board.

I guess there's also the question of the reasons for rejecting a
package.  The release manager, despite having more power, can't reject
a package because, let's say, he doesn't like the maintainer.  There
has to be a valid reason.  I hope you agree.